From:
KiSta Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 07:55:42 -0400
Hi Jim and FML'ers...

What a great question.  As shelters, we're here to ferret sit when everyone
else gets to go on vacation and relax...but what about when we need to go
away, or (gasp) just want a break or a vacation?

I know that I haven't had a "real" vacation since 1994, when Stan and I
went to Mexico.  I do take overnight trips to ferret shows and the like
here and there, with my friend Lisa watching the ferrets, or if its just
for an overnighter, they're fine with extra food and water (except the
ones on medication that then go to camp Lisa).  I know that if something
happened, and I *had* to go someplace for a week or something, she'd watch
the ferrets for me, and she's very capable.  I would feel very guilty
though, leaving her with so much responsibility that she didn't ask for.

When it comes to vacations, I would not feel right just "expecting" Lisa,
or anyone for that matter to care for some 40+ ferrets, although I know she
would do it.... I just would feel like that would be taking advantage of
her.  I'd want to pay her.  I don't do a lot of ferret sitting (mostly for
our past adopters), but I know when I do, I appreciate it when they leave
a donation for the shelter for the sitting.  Not all do.

Stan took his first vacation this year (he'd been waiting for a vacation
since 1994 as well) separately from me, since there was no way I could
leave the ferrets.  I would have loved to have gone, but I just couldn't
justify 2 weeks in the Florida Keys, as much as I would have liked to.

I know what you're saying Jim about the guilt.  I wish I had an answer
for you.  Have you looked into a professional petsitter?  Or a vet tech
at your veterinarian's?  I know some of the girls that work for my vet do
petsitting, and they obviously have access to medical treatment if it was
needed, which is comforting.  Most charge per pet, which with as many as I
have is very prohibitive, but with 15, they may give some sort of volume
discount, perhaps.  I hope that you can figure it out.  I know firsthand
the "family guilt" trip, but I think my family has finally realized that
anything more than a day trip for me is just not going to happen, and its
nothing personal....its just ferrety.

 :)  Good Luck,

kim
www.kistaferret.com