From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 11:37:31 EDT
>We all know that many indoor plants can be poisonous when chewed on or
>ingested.  But how about outside plants?  Are there any flowers or shrubs
>that should be avoided on our great adventures?

Areas that have been treated with lawn fertilizers, pesticides, and weed
killers should definately be avoided.  If you know that an area has been
treated, I'd wait until after a good rain before venturing your ferrets into
that area.  I'd suspect that most lawns in suburbia (US) have treated lawns
this time of year.  (Having allergies like I do to fertilizers and
pesticides makes this time of year hellish for me!) Rural folks living near
farmland or orchards should take some care as well.  Farmers use various
fertilizers and pesticides and the wind can help carry these chemicals to
your lawns.

If you are a bit on the paranoid side, you can give your ferret a bath after
their excursions into the great outdoors.  This will help to wash off any
chemical or plant irritants.

As far as poisonous plants, invest in a guide to wildflowers and plants.  If
not for your ferrets then for the young people that may visit or live with
you.  Being familar with plants that are poisonous or that can be skin
irritants (like poison ivy, stinging nettle, etc.) is important.  You can
help to keep the young people and your ferrets away from as many dangerous
plants as possible.  If your ferret absolutely must chew on a plant, try a
blade of grass, a clover blossom or leaf, or even dandelions as someone
suggested.  (A bitter old dandelion might be a clever way to convince them
chewing on plants is bad.  ;)

I hope this helps!

-kim, squirt (dirt-digger extraordinaire!), pippi (queen of thieves), atlas
 ('da big guy), and jinx (the shadow nip)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.