Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:07:07 EST
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let all the Virginia folks know about a bill that is going
to be introduced in the upcoming legislative session to make second-offense
cruelty to animals a Class 6 Felony, to allow judges more freedom to
include psychiatric treatment as a part of sentencing for violent animal
abusers and to give veterinarians immunity from prosecution for reporting
suspected cases of animal abuse.  Senator Ken Stolle, from Virginia Beach,
is sponsoring the bill.

We all know about the links between cruelty to animals and mass or serial
murderers, etc.  This bill can help!  I've included links to the Virginia
House of Delegates and Senate, and the the Virginia Beach SPCA's weblink -
to sign the petition online.

Here are the links:
For the membership of our delegates/senators:
http://legis.state.va.us/vaonline/cg3.htm

To track the bill once the session is active (starts Jan 13, 1999)
http://leg1.state.va.us/991/bil.htm

For the online Petition:
http://www.vbspca.com/cruelty/petition.html

Let everyone you know in Virginia about this bill.  Its a good start.
Write your Senators and Delegates that you support this bill, and hope they
will, too.  Let them know its important to you as a ferret owner and that
it may decide on whether or not you vote for them in the next election.

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854