From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 01:45:44 EDT
Someone submitted a somewhat strongly worded post a couple of days ago
which I decided wasn't quite appropriate for the FML.  Nevertheless, the
poster voiced a couple of opinions which are interesting and deserves at
least, some mention.

Firstly:
>When people post saying things like...my fuzzy is sick and bleeding all over
>the place..WHAT DO I DO???...I have to wonder ...

Well, I have to remind people that your veterinarians are vital to the
welfare of your ferrets!  I know there may be money problems, and sometimes
a vet may not be 100% ferret-knowledgeable, but minutes count.  If you
think it's serious, it probably is!

The many fine vets and experienced ferreteers on this list will be glad to
speculate and amplify.  But better to discuss why a ferret was ill than to
discuss why it passed away.

>I have to say that I am getting a little sick of the apperant attitude of
>some of the shelter operators on this list...All that seems to come
>across is that they are the only ones that know how to treat ferts properly

Many shelter operators have LOTS of experience with ferrets.  LOTS of
knowledge.  LOTS of opinions they have formed throughout the years.
Sometimes conflicting ones.  But I feel privileged that some good people
care enough to share that knowledge.  Nobody will always be right.  Let's
try to learn from our collective experiences but always remember that YOU
are the caregivers for YOUR ferrets and are ultimately responsible for
their welfare.

>Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Ditto.

Bill
FML moderator