From:
Michelle Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 14:39:57 -0400
Hello to everyone out there.  My name is Michelle and this is the first time
I have wrote to the FML.  I am the proud owner of a 1 year 8 month old girl
ferret.  Her name is Mischief, and as you probably can guess, the name fits
her well.  I originally bought her for my boyfriend and because I my
mothering ability I ended up with her.  I must admit she has been a big
light in my life.  I am really glad to have come across this FML because
until now I had no one to talk to about ferrets.  I do not know anyone
around here (Christiansburg, Roanoke, Blacksburg, Floyd VA) who owns a
ferret.  I have found from reading all the notes that my ferret is very
deprived.  She does not even begin to do some of the things other ferrets
do.  She has free reign of my room and she will sit on my shoulder if I take
her out of the room but only for a little while.  She does not like to be
held.  The only time that I really ever get to hold her for any length of
time is if I get her while she is sleeping and even that does not last long.
The only type of playing that she seems interested in is rough-housing.  She
does not seem to be interested in playing other types of games with me.  She
is a foot/toe bitter and I have not figured out a way to break that habit.
She loves my feet and she really loves to chase them around the room.  Does
anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the foot/toe bitting habit?  Any
ideas on playing with her?  This leads to another problem that I am having:
She seems to be bored.  I work 40 hours a week and I go to school at night
so she is by herself alot.  I want to get her a ferret friend but my parents
say NO.  My brother & sister play with her some but it just doesn't seem to
be enough.  She just does not seem quiet as happy as she used to be.  I know
that she needs more of my time but with work & school I just cannot find it.
I am really worried about her and I do not know what to do.  I have thought
about finding her another home, but I could not handle letting her go.  I am
at home alot on the weekends so on Sat & Sun she is very seldom in her cage.
Does anyone have any suggestions?  Also, I see that other ferrets are feed
snacks like raisins, etc.  The only snack I can get Mischief to eat is Fruit
Loops (She loves these), and crackers.  What snacks besides raisins is
alright for me to feed her?  I know that this is getting really lenghtly but
I have another question.  I usually give her a bath in a unused litter
pan(bought for this purpose) and then I will rinse her off under the faucet.
I have been doing this ever since I got her.  Well the other day she decided
that she did not like being rinsed off under the faucet and she let out this
big shriel, her body got real tense, he claws came out and she had this mean
look on her face (like a rabid animal does).  It took everything I had to
keep a hold on her.  Of course when she screamed, I screamed.  I tested the
water, so I know it was okay.  I called the vet and he said that she felt
threatened but I do not understand, I did not do anything any different from
what I normally do.  Afterwards she seemed a little unsure of me.  Has
anybody ever had this happen to them before?  Like I said before I am really
worried about her.  I really love her and I want her to be happy.  Not
knowing a lot about ferrets has hendered me so I am interested in learning
all that I can.  Any advice or ideas, please share with me.  Sorry for the
lenghtly note, but thanks for listening.

Michelle Anderson
Business & Contracts Secretary
331 Burruss Hall
Virginia Tech