From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 05:58:27 -0700
>From:    Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: GET READY FOR A NEW FIGHT
>My first question is, how can a bite inflicted upon an employee of a
>vet's office be the basis of a kill and test?

Unfortunately the vet has to do this.  If the vet was bitten maybe not but
vets are under pretty intense scrutiny and musy obey the law regarding bite
cases.  Should we work to have the laws fixed?  Yes.

There is a story that a jill with her kits was brought in to a vet.  The
jill bit a staff member (we don't know if it was the vet or a tech) and was
immediately tested for rabies.  This was also a death sentance for the
nursing kits...

Can't assert the complete accuracy of the story.

We had a scare at one of the "important" ferret vets when one of ours nipped
an assistant (not a tech).  The vet and all involved were hoping that the
nipped assistant would not show any signs of infection.  If there were any
by law the vet would have to report the incident.  At least that was the
vets interpretation of the local law.  Our ferret was a guy who gets cranky
when he travels or gets hungry.  He was in a carrier all day at the vets
waiting his turn.  All turned out well though in this case.

This is a reason it is important to get from a vet their policies regarding
bite cases.

>I would have thought that any employee of a vet's office would have to have
>rabies tests prior to working with the animals!

Not a test but a rabies vaccination for employees would certainly be a good
idea, but the law is still the law.  The vet has no choice.  His or her
license is at stake.  Throwing away a vet license over one ferret would lose
the ability to help hundreds more later.

>EVERYONE please, if you can offer suggestions, I'm in the market for them.

Contact the AFA.  Randy Sellers is the one usually involved in these cases.
This will also allow Jim Scott to become involved.  He is an attorney with a
lot of experience and willing to help (retired from MD)

>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bob C: Alive!; Selegiline Question; Adoption
>They would think it was a movement, and friends, it would be: the
>Ferret Mailing List Anti-Marshall Farms Movement

Thanks Arlo...

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/