From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:38:33 -0400
That our ferrets in a shelter is worse than living with someone who has
more ferrets than we presently do IN the shelter!

I really was not empassioned by the post on the fnml which undermined
ferrets in shelters

But perhaps that is just me- I take offense to reading that our shelter
ferrets could do better at an unlicensed- uninspected facility which
competes for the funds of legitimate shelters.

It has been an uphill struggle to raise the $20,000 plus each year to
vet, feed & care for the residents in our programs each year....
Ultimately I guess the best thing is to phase out something which is
NOT working for a chance to make a difference -- SO IN the coming YEars-
Ferret Wise will expand and become humane educators.... and as our lovely
problem children pass on-- services to organizations on legal changes,
cruelty protection, publications will blossom.  We are sorry it had to
be thrown in our faces to realize the truth.

I am so upset by this post that I have no recourse but to notify the
ferret community henceforth at Ferret Wise we will be CLOSED TO INTAKES !
There are no general admissions any further.  We will work with a select
few abuse cases which come through police locally.

And we do continue to hospice our 31 ferret residents in 3 locations.
Thanks to all for your support-- We will begin to move forward in the
humane education arena!

Alicia D
www.ferretwise.org