From:
Sharon Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:42:47 PST
I read with interest the anonymous post about Outrageous Pets in
Charlottesville, as I live here.  I do not frequent pet stores that sell
ferrets (my four are rescues), as I buy most of the fuzzies supplies at pet
food discounters.  However, I was determined to go see what was going on
with the "bored" ferts at the store on my first day off; which was today.

What I found were three lively little guys in a big glass cage at the front
of the store. The cage was pristine in it's cleanliness, with a good size
hammock , litter pan and full food dish and water bottle. There was also a
ferret ball in that cage as well.(He may have been cleaning it the day the
other person was there.) Also in the corner at the front of the store, with
plenty of sunshine, was a glassed in well ventilated "ferret playground"
about half the size of a bedroom. In it was ferret heaven. Hammocks, tubes,
huge ferret balls, chew toys, carpet remnants, stuff to climb on; in fact,
anything a ferret would want. The owner told me that the ferrets are in
there twice a day; when their cage is being cleaned and once for exercise
purposes.

The owner was very forthcoming when we talked.  He is inspected monthly by
the state because his business is mostly "exotic animals".  He really cares
for the animals in his store and stated that if any one had concerns to
come to him and address them.  He does not let anyone and everyone handle
the ferrets and in fact, will take in neglected babies when they are
brought to him.

So don't be shy, if you think you see a problem; go to the top.  You may be
surprised.

Also, thank you to the two people who emailed me with suggestions about
what to do about my babies clawing the furniture and carpet.  I realize
that this is a trivial problem compared to some; but I appreciate the
input.

Sharon and the gang
Echo the alpha ferret
Tally the queen