From:
"Voorhees, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 09:20:26 -0500
Air purifiers should be approached very carefully.  They are typically
Ozone generators of some sort.  I have done a modest amount of research on
them and the results are disappointing.  The only positive information on
them is by, or paid for by the people that make them.  Any independent
information on ozone I found is negative.  The list citations I have are
quite long but can be provided if emailed separately.  Ozone is not what
the device manufactures claim it to be.  This following quote is indicative
of the problem:

  "However, independent studies have shown that ozone generator do not
   effectively destroy microbes, remove odor sources, or reduce indoor
   pollutants enough to provide any health benefits.  More alarming these
   devices can generate excessive levels of ozone and may contribute to eye
   and nose irritation or other respiratory health problems for users."

This came from the state of California Health and welfare agency.  I can
provide a list of none California based citations also.

Bruce and Critter