From:
Jennifer Hoh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 22:24:43 EST
Tonight I had a very close call--and two precious holiday gifts.

In spite of having had ferret companions for more than ten years, tonight I
made a stupid mistake and both of my ferrets escaped from the house.  Both
my husband and I thought the other had put the ferret gate up after letting
them romp, but neither of us checked when we left the door open.  (Very
dark night, about 30 degrees).  Nothing calls a sleeping ferret faster than
an open door.  We realized that they were out no more than 10 minutes after
they escaped, but, being ferrets, you guessed it, they were long gone.

My husband went out immediately to search while I turned the house upside
down in the vain hope they were hiding someplace.  10 minutes later I gave
up inside and put my coat on and grabbed the spare sqeeky to head out to
look.

I opened the door to go out, and there stood my youngest boy, hair puffed
out all around and scared half to death.  He ran past me, upstairs, and
into his bed.  Guess he doesn't like the outdoors.  Holiday present number
one.  I shut him in with some firmness.

Unfortunatly my 7 year old is wiley and adventurous.  We squeeked and
called to no avail.  Lucky for me I've got young neighbors who like pets
and adventure, and they came out to help.  Soon we had a party of about a
half dozen people sqeeking and calling throughout the neighborhood.  Even
though we've only lived here for a few months, I am really fortunate to
live in a close-knit community.  One person called another, and pretty soon
we had people looking on several streets around us.

Fortune smiled, and about 40 minutes after starting his adventure, the
little monster got tired and walked up to the first person he saw and
demanded to be picked up.  My second Holiday gift was a beautiful man from
3 blocks away walking up to me with the words "I think I have your ferret".

So, my holiday gift to all of you in return, is some advice--get to know
your neighbors!  Let them know you have ferrets, and let them know not to
be afraid if a ferret runs up to them unaccompanied.  It may save your
ferret's life, and many hours of crying.  Of course I'm crying anyway, but
at least they're happy tears this time.

Happy Holidays, everyone.