From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:16:05 -0500
>From:    caylalinus <[log in to unmask]>
>Thank you, Alexandra, for clarifying about the numerous messages this
>PERSON (gritting teeth & trying to be nice) sent in over the years....

Becky, I think you're right about the person being sick, but I have
a good idea of what is happening here.  I have experience in the
psychiatric field, and used to work in a psychiatric hospital.  There
is a disorder called Munchausen Syndrome, in which a person fakes a
disease or health problem in order to get attention and sympathy.  There
is another closely related problem called Munchausen by Proxy, where the
person uses someone else, such as a child or pet, and fakes sickness or
in some cases abuses/poisons their victim.  They pretend to be very
concerned, but they are actually causing the illness.  I came across an
Internet article entitled Munchausen by Internet.  It was written by a
Dr. Marc D.  Feldman, MD.  For the entire article, go to
http://www.munchausen.com/ .

I have pasted a portion of the article, (see below).

What I think we are really seeing here is Munchausen by Proxy by
Internet.

Exerpt - Munchausen by Internet by Marc D. Feldman, MD

"For decades, physicians have known about so-called factitious disorder,
better known in its severe form as Munchausen syndrome (Feldman & Ford,
1995).  Here, people willfully fake or produce illness to command
attention, obtain lenience, act out anger, or control others.  Though
feeling well, they may bound into hospitals, crying out or clutching
their chests with dramatic flair.  Once admitted, they send the staff on
one medical goose chase after another.  If suspicions are raised or the
ruse is uncovered, they quickly move on to a new hospital, town, state,
or in the worst cases - country.  Like traveling performers, they simply
play their role again.  I coined the terms "virtual factitious disorder"
(Feldman, Bibby, & Crites, 1998) and "Munchausen by Internet" (Feldman,
2000) to refer to people who simplify this "real-life" process by
carrying out their deceptions online.  Instead of seeking care at
numerous hospitals, they gain new audiences merely by clicking from one
support group to another.  Under the guise of illness, they can also
join multiple groups simultaneously.  Using different names and accounts,
they can even sign on to one group as a stricken patient, his frantic
mother, and his distraught son all to make the ruse utterly convincing.

Clues to Detection of False Claims
Based on experience with two dozen cases of Munchausen by Internet, I
have arrived at a list of clues to the detection of factititous Internet
claims.  The most important follow:

1. the posts consistently duplicate material in other posts, in books,
   or on health-related websites;
2. the characteristics of the supposed illness emerge as caricatures;
3. near-fatal bouts of illness alternate with miraculous recoveries;
4. claims are fantastic, contradicted by subsequent posts, or flatly
   disproved;
5. there are continual dramatic events in the person's life, especially
   when other group members have become the focus of attention;
6. there is feigned blitheness about crises (e.g., going into septic
   shock) that will predictably attract immediate attention;
7.  others apparently posting on behalf of the individual (e.g., family
    members, friends) have identical patterns of writing."

Our FML suspect, has shown all of the 7 signs listed above.

1. All of his missing or killed ferret are named Vinnie da rat.
2. Details are ridiculous, such as running over one with a wheelchair,
   crushed in mattress, etc.
3. His Vinnies have often had miraculous recoveries, even after he has
   reported them DEAD.
4. There have been tons of contradictions.
5. Continual dramatic events, such as bleeding ulcers, etc.
6. Feigned blithness - giving up the search when supposedly he knows
   exactly where the ferret is.
7. I suspect David's "brother" is really David, if that is even his
   real name.  He may not even own ferrets, may have never owned a
   ferret in his life.  I hope that is the case.  At least Virtual
   Munchausen by Proxy, does not mean he would have to actually harm the
   ferret, as no one online would see it to know one way or another.

I've sent this post anonymously as this is a very sick individual, and I
do not wish to have an Internet stalker.  Of course, if we get wise to
him, he can just join the list with a different name, and come up with
a new story.  So we can probably never completely rid ourselves of this
problem.  I am a long-time member on the FML, but I post very rarely.  I
couldn't sit back and say nothing any longer on this one.  I think it's
almost a classic case of Munchausen by Proxy, except that it is via
Internet.  Apparently, the Internet provides a great opportunity for
people with this type of disorder.  I urge him to go get psychiatric
help, but I can almost guarantee that he won't do so.  Anyway, I hope
this sheds some light on the situation.  Please don't allow yourselves
to fret over this, when the ferret may not even exist.

Concerned FML Member