From:
Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 14:26:49 -0400
In reading Pam Grant's post in reference to adrenal tumors I must jump in
and say I agree--- for whatever reason every single ferret which has
received treatment since this shelter opened in Jan. 95 has been a Marshall
Farms ferret.  We have other early neuters her, but none of which has shown
any signs of adrenal tumors.

So far since opening the first terminal adrenal case was 8 years of age,
then 6 years of age.  Beginning in Fall of 95 the ferrets displaying
symptoms and receiving surgeries were four years old.

This year in 1996 we have had numerous ferrets in which required surgeries
at 3 years and 2 1/2 years of age..  ALL WERE MARSHALL FARMS FERRETS --
distinguished by 2 blue to black dots in the right ear.

In two years we have through the shelter treated 10 ferrets for adrenal
disease.  Of these ten 3 were lost to death.

We are also monitoring 12 others which are in families who adopted ferrets
from us.  All these 12 are also distinguished by the two dots in the ears.
Not every owner has decided to provide surgeries, but of those who have many
are now displaying symptoms of the disease even after removal of one gland
(coincidentally left side removals).

I think the issue is bigger here than some would like to acknowledge.  And
SINCE THE ISSUE has once again been brought up I would like to invite the
shelters who care for and treat these animals to start compiling a database.
We all have other ferrets through our doors than MF... of those HOW MANY
have adrenal disease.

ANY VOLUNTEERS FOR COORDINATING this data???  I think we will all be
convinced when the issue is studied in depth.