From:
Alicia Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:19:30 -0400
It is a sad time for those ferret friends in MA.  The one thing most of you
probably don't know is tyhat even with police pressing charges, even with
documantation and loaws which recognize ferrets as pets-- the harsh reality
is in MA there is a misdemeanor charge for animals cruelty-- even for
repeatyed offenses-- so seeing how the perpetrator has an attorney-- the
moost we can hope for is a slap on the hand.

This is a case where the ferret organization needs to join forces with the
established humane communities-- or take up the chalice to push for
legislation that will recognize animal cruelty in MA as a felony-- if not
on the first offense-- then for subsequent offenses.

TYhis can be a learning lesson for all ferret clubs and shelter
organizations-- check your state statutes with regard to animal cruelty--
are ferrets covered?  If not start a campaign to get legislation extended
to ferrets.

Are animal cruelty laws in each state covering ferrets?  If not -- again
work needs to be done here as well.  We all know the great state of CA has
a long way to go -- further than the rest of us ,  but -- for us who have
got the legalization-- there is still more work to do.

just my thoughts