From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 14:12:46 EDT
Zen writes:
>The AFA requires vaccinations with USDA approved vaccines.  That means
>Fervac-D for distemper and, where required by law, Imrab-3 for rabies.

Bill,

My little girl, Cara Mia, (Ghengis Khan's daughter) had a moderate reaction
to the Fervac-D last year, and an extremely severe reaction to the Fervac-D
this year.  We came very, very close to losing her even with pre-treatment.
My vet recommended that we seriously think before ever getting her
vaccinated again, as it's probable next time she would die.  I have been
showing her at the GCFA shows, but if she is not vaccinated again next
year, this show will be her last, apparently.  That is not a problem, but
with the fairly recent outbreak of distemper in Milwaukee, I'm worried
about leaving her vulnerable to the disease.  She is very dear to me.  I
do occasionally take in ferrets that people don't want and find homes for
them.  I suppose it would be best to not do this anymore?  Is ANY vaccine
going to help protect her at all other than the Fervac-D?  If she isn't
vaccinated, I'm not really sure exactly how to completely prevent her from
getting distemper, or if it's even possible.

Thanks for any help and I look forward to seeing you in October...can I
come introduce myself?

Judy