Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:36:26 -0600
Poor Sylvester.
In the frantic search for a black tie, the chubby albino got his foot
caught in the folding closet door.  I immediately held him, and he seemed
to be fine.  I wasn't sure if he got pinched or not, but I didn't see
anything wrong, and he scampered about with the rest helping me to find a
tie.  But when I looked down a minute later, there was blood all over the
floor.  Upon inspection, his left hind outer toe was bleeding pretty bad
from between the outer toe and the toe to the inside.  Have you ever seen
an albino ferret bleeding?  It's a horrible mess!  Fortunately in the time
it took me to round up towels, hydrogen peroxide, and the first aid kit,
maybe three minutes, the bleeding had mostly stopped, and I had him licking
Ferretone while I cleaned him up and bandaged him.  The next day he was
fine, a scab between his toes, and he didn't even seem to favor the leg at
all.  But then I noticed his outer toe claw was gone!

My question then is what are the odds that it will grow back?  Is it like a
fingernail that gets damaged falls off then comes back?  It was still there
and seemingly attached when I cleaned him up.  I only had a bandage on him
for an of hour, and seeing no further blood I took it off.  It is still a
little tender after two days, if you try to move the outside toe, but he
snuffles about as if nothing happened.

I'm keeping a sharp eye out for signs of infection, but aside from that and
double the affection, is there anything else I should do?

-JA
- Unique and Humorous .SIG file under construction.