From:
Jean McKim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:08:10 EDT
>There is a young man about 10 or 11 who comes in with a lady friend
>(sister or aunt or something similar) or his mother and purchases a pet
>each time he visits.  I have spoken to his mother on one occasion who
>has told me that he has autism (sp?) and has obsession problems.

My 12 year old son has autism and obsessive-compulsive disorder.  Who the
heck is paying for these animals!!!!  My son would love to have a new
deck of Pokemon cards a day, but there is no way in @#$^% I would do it,
or could afford to do it.  Heck, I don't know any kid who doesn't want
all the puppies at the pound!  In my house all the animals are "mine" so
to speak.  I do not believe in giving animals to children without the
understanding that I am responsible for them.

That said, my son is great with animals.  When he was born we had two
ferrets.  He has always known them.  And animals are great for most kids
with disabilities.  My pets sure taught my then foster son how to control
his impulses (my eldest dog and cat took him in hand).  Seven years
later, he is slow and gentle with animals and babies.  (Mind you he
never hurt them, just bugged them).

What you can do as a pet store, I don't know.  I do know that the mother
is not doing her son any favors.  There will never be an end to it.

Jean