Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:06:52 -0400
Can someone please tell me if an enlarged spleen is painful for a ferret.
I've gone though some of the archives but can't seem to find anything on
pain.

I just brought my 7 year back from the vet for a check up.  The left side
of his belly is quite swollen, the vet said it was his spleen.  Over the
year it's been getting bigger.  I never even thought to ask if it's
painful for them....He often seems to hold his tummy up when eating, and
sometimes when he's running around the house he is hunched up.

He is on Prednesolone 2x a day for insulinoma.

Another odd thing.  Over the past month, he has lost hair on top of his
head, just a behind his ears.  It's a patch about the size of a quarter.
The vet was kind of stumped, she mentioned the adrenal disease but it's
not the normal place to loose hair.  Otherwise he has a beautiful coat
everywhere else.  She checked for ear mites thinking that might have
something to do with it, but his ears were fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Steph and Pooh