From:
Darla Berg-Karagas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:01:56 -0700
Dear Karen,

You asked
>Can you tell me what shelter/sanctuary your auctions will be
>benefitting?  I looked at your auctions but couldn't find this info.

The proceeds of my auction will be going to Zoo`s Ferret Sanctuary N.F.P.

My husband Gregg & I have helped various shelters throughout the years,
and have even had the pleasure of visiting some of them.  We were very
impressed with Zoo`s Ferret Sanctuary, because they operate a bit
differently than most.

They are the only facility in 78 miles taking in ferrets, no matter how
old, how sick, or how mean they have become.  Even the new local humane
society doesn`t take in ferrets (just cats & dogs).  They send them to
Zoo`s TOO.  This is near a college town where many ferrets get dumped.
The sanctuary gets a call when a ferret is on it`s last day, & is about
to be euthanized.  They get a call sometimes from pet stores, or local
vets when one has been dumped there.  She has never turned one away..
Zoo`s works with agencies in three counties!

There are 19 adrenal ferrets there on lupron, and quite a few with
insulinoma, 14 on meds for life ,and even a heart patient.  Several of
them have lymphoma, and they are being hospiced with love.So many of them
have had issues, & have become well-adjusted & happy there.  Zoo`s is
home to them, so they aren`t sent away.  They are cared for with love,
until the end of their days.  Zoo`s doesn`t adopt out to the general
public, who is inexperienced with ferret care.  Cathy Strobach and her
husband Kurt foot most of the bills, and I have never seen them ask for
money.  They quietly do their thing.

They have helped other ferrets get into trustworthy homes on occasion,
and they have supporters out of state, who they call for help if
there`s a ferret needing a home in one of those states.  They have
done educational seminars at Petco, and she (Zoo) will be giving a
presentation at the library next month.  They hand out a ferret care book
to each person who visits the sanctuary.

There are some special cases there, where someone loved their (healthy)
ferrets & didn`t want to give them up, like Callie & Tosha, who came to
Zoo`s at 16 weeks of age.  The woman`s nine year old son was horribly
allergic.Their mom wants to be sure Callie & Tosha will stay at Zoo`s.
She keeps in touch, contributes for the ferrets, & is able to visit,
whenever she wants.  (She was devastated at having to give them up!) She
knows her babies will be well cared for, for the rest of their lives.
She knows where they are.  The people are welcome to visit them anytime.

The ferrets have a huge, clean room to play in, with independent
heating/cooling/ and a beautiful care center with all kinds of
medical/testing equipment & supplies.They are in the process of building
another.  Even though Cathy refers to her facility as a "sanctuary" the
government recognizes Zoo`s as a shelter.  They haven`t done any huge,
impressive rescues, like some of the more publicized shelters, but
Gregg & I were amazed at the care she gives each and every one of those
kids under her care.  We have been to Zoo`s many times now, and have
gotten to know her quite well !!!

When Gregg & I went on vacation, we wouldn`t have trusted our babies
with anyone else.  She gladly watched our seven, & kept us updated with
emails!

It isn`t Cathy`s style to ask for money, but I know how expensive the vet
care is for ours, and we only have ONE on meds!  It would be my pleasure
to help such a worthy cause.

Darla

ps.  She likes to be called "Zoo" With 45 ferrets, has earned the
nickname.  LOL