Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:43:52 -0400
I'd like to add my two cents on the subject here.

First, I'd like to thank those who contributed posts that pointed out
the possible and probable dangers in keeping ferrets and birds together
in a home. The fact is there is always a risk because there is always
the human factor involved which could lead to error. We all make
mistakes. And extenuating circumstances that we have no control of
do arise. Because of that, I can't argue what anyone has said here.
Because what they've said is basically true.

That said, I need to contribute another viewpoint to this that may not
be very popular in this forum. Before I go on, please note that this is
not directed at any specific people or posts. I'm speaking in general.

It always amazes and frustrates me, when I hear so much emotion, harsh
wording, and unmoving beliefs expressed by people regarding the keeping
of ferrets and birds together in the same home when many of them would
never ever be as harsh to someone who kept a cat or even a specific dog
breed who is known to exhibit animal aggression in the same home. Some
critics may say that they do in fact feel just as strongly about cats
and would not keep them with birds or fowl. That's fine and I respect,
even admire, their great caution because of the consistency in which
they live their lives and because they don't just preach to others. And
I'm grateful that they share their experiences. However would they be
just as unmoving in their belief that it shouldn't be done if they were
talking about other animals? Usually not. And usually they themselves
do own other predators of birds. Before anyone tries to get into some
sort of debate with me, I am NOT presuming that anyone here or who has
posted is inconsistent in how they live their lives or how they discuss
the topic of mixed species in the home. Because I wouldn't know that
personally, of course. I am referring to most people in general and I
just wanted to point this out and make people think twice about how
they discuss this. If you believe no predators should be kept with prey
in the same home, live the example, and in addition ... speak out about
each and every predator to someone just as harshly. Far too many people
preach about this yet own cats and rodents, dogs and ferrets, ferrets
and fish, etc..

I know that I'm wordy and at times hard to follow, but I hope that I
made my point clear. I just want a balanced presentation of the facts.

In reality? Many people own cats and birds (and other prey of cats)
together. Yet a cat has full roam of the home, is unsupervised, is
faster than a ferret, has access to heights that a ferret does not, can
leap higher than a ferret, is less domesticated and has more instinct
(at times) than a ferret. Some dogs are just as bad ... yet you'd
rarely hear someone say such alarming words about them. So if you have
multi species that conflict with one another in your home AT ALL,
or if you don't plan to present equal wording and emotion about the
keeping of predator and prey together ... please don't say anything.
Try to keep it balanced. Once again, I'm not targeting ANYONE here,
I just wanted to tone down the emotion and present another opinion.

I do keep birds with ferrets. As many do here. You don't hear about it
very often because it's a taboo subject. Funny, that its not "as taboo"
to own a cat or dog in a home with a bird. Anyway, some people have
had an accident with a ferret and bird, but still own them (I don't
mean here). Just as many people have owned goldfish, bettas, reptiles,
hamsters, or even kept outdoor pets and have had some sort of accident
but still keep those sorts of pets. Some people have had an accident
with a dog or cat involving a ferret but continue to own them. Is that
good? I'm not judging either way. Accidents happen, and unless a
pet/species is put at repeated risk (meaning repeat accidents without
rectification), I have no beef with that. I also have no beef with
someone who adamantly believes it shouldn't be done and shares
(educates others on the subject), once again ... IF they don't keep
any conflicting species together and IF they present their opinions
fairly about all species.

My home is split level. Birds on one floor, ferrets on another, and
very few of them. I wont list the long, boring precautions I personally
take. Although, I will discuss general precautions and constructive
tips in a non emotional and non judgemental way here in a reply if
you like. I will reiterate what others have already said; no human is
perfect and no situation is fail proof. Yes, I worry. I will worry
less, when we have less people living in this home. The more people,
the more risk because one person doesn't always know what the other is
doing. I figure that with more humans, there could be more mistakes. I
suppose some could say the opposite and say that is also more eyes on
the situation. Its worked both ways with me over the years.

To answer your question. In general, no there is no stress to the birds
that I've seen in my life time. However, I've owned only a few small
birds. I've not personally perceived a problem with them. But small
birds are just not in the same class as larger parrots. They are not
as intelligent, are more wild with more instincts, and cannot express
stress in an obvious way that you can see. They will often eat, sleep,
etc, quite normally if stressed. By the time you find out that a tiny
bird is stressed, it's too late. So I cannot say for sure whether the
small ones I've ever owned were stressed by the ferrets or not, but I
imagine it'd be common sense to say that they'd be prone to it. I can
tell you most healthy medium to large sized birds with no past traumas,
don't seem to get stressed at all. Many in fact are enriched by living
with multi species even if it's with predators. In fact, because of
this, you have to be very careful of a large birds' over confidence
and curiosity. They will "want" to play with the furry animal. And a
ferrets curiosity is unsurpassed by none, so they will want to do the
same. So that isn't good.

I hope that others and myself who enjoy living in multi species homes
excercise precautions the best they can and continue to be enriched by
their lifestyles. I believe animals can benefit as well!

Wolfy