From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 13:53:19 -0500
To Stacy Thomas:

Stacy, I can't urge you enough to get your ferrets up-to-date on their shots.
I know a lot o people post that their ferrets have had reactions from some of
the vaccines, but what you AREN'T hearing is the hundreds of thousands of
ferrets who aren't having reactions.  Vaccine reactions are seen in all
species, and are also rare in all species.

Distemper is a 100% fatal disease.  A reaction is rare.  Although your ferrets
never go out, they do go to the vet, and the vet's office is a great place for
them to pick up many diseases.  What about that cute puppy in the chair next to
you.  Looks healthy, but because he hasn't had his shots, he may be shedding
distemper virus.  One of your ferrets picks up the virus, and before you know
it, all of them are showing signs of a respiratory infection that nothing will
touch.  Then they start to die one by one....

Am I scaring you -- I hope so.  My ferrets go nowhere either.  Whenever I go
to a ferret show, I immediately wash all of my clothes and shower upon
returning (more for fear of the Green Diarrhea, but to prevent any other
disease, also, becuase I generally handle a LOT of ferrets).  Do I give them
vaccinations - you bet.  Distemper and rabies.  The small expense and the
miniscule chance of a reaction is nothing compared to the protection they get
and the peace of mind that I get.

Responsible pet ownership begins with vaccination.  Your child may have a
reaction to a rubella vaccine, but you wouldn't let him/her go without one...

Bruce Williams