From:
"Mark D. Chavez" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1992 18:55:01 -0500
    Thought I'd throw in my two cents worth since I'm currently at
NIH.  For proper animal studies to be done, the control set of animals
much resemble as close as possible the experimental group.  Ideally,
twins, triplets, etc. would work best.  Hence I am not surprised that
inbreeding may be a problem since for animal studies one wants as
genetically similar animals as possible.  A valid question then is how
many ferrets are sold as pets versus the number sold for experimental
purposes.  Just as breeders want certain colors, traits, etc, so do the
experimenters.  Just providing info, not trying to start debate on
animal research....

    As far as spaying/neutering goes, follow common sense.  Fool
with Mother Nature, Mother Nature will fool with you.  Hormone balance
would ensure normal development of the ferret, I am somewhat concerned
about my ferret since he was "fixed" at an early age.  Perhaps this is
the cause of the tumor/cancer rate in ferrets, maybe a vet who deals
with a large sampling can enlighten us (cancer rate "altered" vs. normal).

    Another side note on cancer which may/ may not be relevant - my
ferret has the disgusting habit of eating insects.  Insecticides are
well known to cause cancer, so I watch him like a hawk when he starts
pouncing around.  Time to move to a better apartment.

    To the person with Buddy, the ferret that misses the litter
box - might try a larger litter box.  Spud never misses on the big one
but messes up occasionally on the smaller one.  Poor aim! :-)  Also,
Buddy may smell the butt-wiping(tm) and think that is the plcae to go.
Cures for that have been discussed.

    If anyone would like info on the ferret research, let me know
and I will post what I can find out.  Basically ferrets catch similar
diseases as humans (ex. colds) so they become "models" for research.
I'm a biophysical chemist here at NIH so I'm no expert but I do have
access to information if anyone is interested...

Mark Chavez