From:
Wayne Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:30:20 -0000
Re. Un-licensed medications

Hi Ferreter (sorry you didn't sign your post)

I am very concerned after hearing that three people,

>have taken in on themselves to judge that treatments are wrong and have
>contacted vets to threaten action against them".

Are these people who would read this list and would be prepared to
explain on what grounds, to what extent and to what end they wish to
take this action.

I take great care in researching any substance prescribed by a vet before
administering it to my ferrets, I also understand that it is unlicensed
products that have saved life or help maintain health in my ferrets.

If it is true that, "Eric and Ruth Corbett, and Cliff Bull", wish to take
action against vets and wish it's effects to be wide spread then I would
like to know why they are taking it, based on what evidence.

Both vets I use are good with ferrets and one has kept ferrets for years.
The medications used may not be licensed but are tried and tested.

My working life as a clinical research scientist revolves around
'Evidence Based Medicine'.  I would like to know what evidence is being
used in taking action against which ever vets are to be involved.  If it
is justified than so be it, if it is not justified then I take exception
to the health of my ferrets being put at risk.

I look forward to hearing more on the details of this case.

Wayne Gardner
Clinical Scientist
Dept. Medical Physics
St James's University Hospital