From:
"March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:30:59 -0700
>Sorry, this could get off topic, but for now I think it's *very*
>topical for our friends in FFZ's...and I agree with Jim; know
>your rights, don't "cave in" just because you see a uniform;

It's on-topic all right.

I've made a hard-and-fast decision *not* to commit a violent act in defense
of my ferts, with either non-lethal or lethal force.  This despite enough
size (6'4", 275lbs, not (much) excess) and training (CQC, Kendo) to deal
with up to two baton-wielding average cops with better-than-average odds of
at least escaping.  There are several reasons for this decision, including
the fact that it might set public attitudes further against the "weasel
set", and that it ain't needed - talk to CDFA people; there are at least two
different ways of getting a confiscated ferret *back*.

Back to search warrants: I don't think warrant rules vary much at *all* from
state to state, especially since a lot of the details involved have been
thrashed out in Federal Supreme Court.  So, can a lawyer please post details
of what's needed to get a search warrant when the only info the cops have is
a neigbor report?  Is it even possible, or are several eyewitnesses needed?
Does it vary from judge to judge?  Finally, what items should one look for
on a warrant to see if there's some way in which it's clearly invalid - or
rather, what *must* be there?

Let me make it clear that I've have over 15 police encounters while with my
skinnies.  Many of those incidents were two cops at a time, in one case it
was a whole vanload of 4.  Call it at least 25 cops total, the majority San
Francisco PD.  Of all of those only *one* acted in a way that I or most
observers would call "assholeish", and even he didn't actually do anything
(due to crowds of observers - he wanted to).

So overall, no, I don't have a "bad attitude towards cops" as one EMailer
claimed in private.  I *do* have an attitude towards bad laws and
regulations; I also have severe concerns that the Fish&Game "Department" and
"Commision" are too tightly interwoven - the Dept.  is an armed police
agency of the Executive branch, while the Commision is a Legislative body,
creating rules.

They're so intertwined that the Wardens absolutely *never* give ferret
owners slack, no matter how cute, tame, loved and neutered a given animal
is.  If F&G Wardens ever think you have a ferret, they'll *always* do their
damndest to get it.  Because OWNING A FERRET IS A DIRECT STATEMENT THAT THE
COMMISION, THEIR MASTERS, SCREWED UP.  Get it?  They have "ego" tied up in
the enforcement of the ban, something that under the US Constitution should
-=NOT=- happen - and if you can't tell already, it pisses me off no end.