From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 13:50:12 CST6CDT
Thanks Bob, (blush) you're a sweetie!  If I run for office will you be my
campaign manager?  Thanks to everyone for their well wishes and donations.
Everything is very much appreciated!  I'll drop you all a note as soon as I
get a chance.  And to the anonymous donator - Thank you very much!!

We are doing much better.  I guess if ECE was going to come to Kansas it is
good that it stopped at my house.  Only 5 needing special feedings but all
are still on special recipes and electrolytes for at least the next month.
I want them as fat and sassy as they were BEFORE this hit.  Some are already
gaining, although they do sleep a lot as can be expected for the recovery
period.  Vitamins and minerals as well as herbal remedies are added to their
recipes to try and repair any damage.

We steam cleaned the carpets, disinfected bedding, beds, litter pans, bowls,
toys, etc.  yesterday.  Two friends pitched right in and worked just as hard
as me.  They really made a difference in the work load!

We aren't out of the woods yet, but the load is much lighter.  I'm up and
running again (back to my 14 hour work days thank goodness) and the ferrets
are wanting more attention in a playing manner.

For those of you that do not know me, I operate our shelter a little
differently than most.  Shelter ferrets and boarders run with my own, no
cages.  They are loved and treated the same as mine.  We all share the same
living space.  This I imagine is why we were hit so hard, community beds and
litter boxes.  I was unable to quarantine sick ferrets because they bond so
closely with others that isolating them could have been detrimental.  Bob is
right I paid dearly - emotionally, physically, and financially but we all
survived and that is the important part.  And I do bounce back quickly.  My
energy surges and my spirit rises!  While the scars will always be imprinted
on my heart and soul, I will continue on to overcome the next obstacle
placed within my path.

I do have a request.  Would everyone that has dealt with ECE please E-mail
your experiences, symptoms and what type of supportive care you provided
including recipes?  Having been through this I'd like to compile the
information for the next poor soul that experiences it.  Don't worry about
editing, just write it down, please be as explicit as you can, and E-mail it
to me, I'll take it from there.

E-mail to:    [log in to unmask]

My sympathies are with those who have lost their loved ones.  And once
again, thank you all for your support!  Hugs to all.  tle