From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 12:26:50 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet question
>My vet asked me to post a question so I hope a vet here will answer as I
>really dont want to let him down. ...

There is not an easy answer.  There are many varibles to consider on whether
to test or not.  The 1 or 2 worms that are present in an infected ferret
present such a low antigen (proteins identifying the heartworm) count that
most tests will not pick it up anyway.  The SNAP/CITE test from IDEXX is
probably the best one out there but there still may be some false negative
results.  Yes, ferrets can probably have an allergic type reaction between
the active ingredient in the monthly heartworm pill and the adult heartworm
but I have never encountered it nor read about it.  Here in New Hampshire we
have a low heartworm incidence (2% in the dogs so far in 1996), so the
incidence in a nontypical host like a ferret is probably lower.  In the end,
I have elected not to test ferrets.  It needs to be an informed decision on
the veterinarian s part.

>From:    Amy Goldman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Closing eye problem
>Thor is having a problem with his right eye.  For the past couple days, we
>noticed that it was shut, or shutting when we picked him up (almost as if
>he's squinting).  There's been some watering,...

It could be an abscess or the early signs of a cold.  Give the antibiotics a
couple more days.

>From:    Laura Ginter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Abu update HELP PLEASE!!!
>The veterinarian has told me that Abu has Pegonevative Anemia (I have no
>idea if that is spelled right).  He has no idea on how to deal with this

What you have described sounds like a regenerative anemia, of which there
are many causes.  Have your vet get in touch with a ferret knowledgable vet
to discuss it more.  I am afraid your description is not specific enough to
draw any firm conclusions.

>From:    Bridgid Conway <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: toxoplasmosis..please answer
>I have a very important question that I need answered as soon as possible.
>Has it ever been proven or disproven that toxoplasmosis can be carried by

Yes ferrets can carry toxoplasmosis.  To be safest, have your husband pick
up the poops.  The danger for your fetus is during the first trimester.

>From:    Scott Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Some Advice Please
>I would like to ask for advice from any of the veterinarians out there as
>well as any of you ferret experts....

Surgery.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital