From:
Jill Whitfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:01:34 -0400
Anyone out there doing rescue work knows how demanding it is.  I only have
the ability to foster 4 at one time in addition to my 6.  That is no where
near the number of rescues being cared for by many on this list.

I am a part of Ferret Business of Ga, and have been working with Juliana
for almost 3 years.  When I first contacted the rescue group in my area
to offer my help, the first person I spoke with abruptly referred me to
another member.  I could have taken this as a brush off, however I chose
not to.  The second person I contacted was Juliana Quadrozzi.  She was up
to her ears in ferret work at the time so she asked me to call back.  This
could also have been taken as a brush off, again I chose not to see it that
way.  I called again and had a long productive conversation with Juliana.
She was intent on making me realize that ferret rescue was not all fun and
games, and not just a cool thing to do.  She told me to call her back in
two weeks if I was still interested in helping.  Was this a brush off?  I
don't think it was, she was letting me make up my own mind.  They needed
the help, but not if I wasn't serious.  I was invited to the next meeting,
where I was welcomed warmly by Juliana, and introduced to all the other
"crazy ferret people".

I was not asked for help, I told them I was going to help.  Is my help
appreciated?  Well, I perceive it to be.  Whether or not I am appreciated
by who I work with is important, but not the most important thing.  The
most important things are the animals.

Foster work is hard, time consuming and emotional work.  Juliana and I
frequently talk and we both get very excited when we get a good adoption
call or a promising volunteer.  If there is anyone out there willing to
selflessly give up a little time to help us and the foster ferrets in our
care, they are more than welcome to do so.  No only are they welcome, they
are also appreciated.  Just keep in mind when you contact a shelter
operator, that the shelter is usually something done after their full time
jobs and other daily responsibilities.  So if by chance you feel brushed
off, that may not always be the case.  I don't know too many shelter people
who do not appreciate persistence and dedication to the ferrets.

Jill Whitfield
Ferret Business of Ga