From:
"Gary Holowicki, DD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 1995 13:29:48 -0700
7/3/95 BFF update:

                                FOR GENERAL DISTRIBUTION

                         Government By the People, For the people......

    Something has gone seriously wrong.  We are now Government in spite of
the people and disdainful of the people.  All the more reason for
coalescence, vigilance, cooperation and a great deal of skepticism.

    With that we announce the formation of a corporation to encompass all
that YOU have accomplished in the past four months; the society for the
Protection and Conservation of the Black-footed Ferret.  Our function will
be much the same as that of the Humane Society in regard for domestic
animals, to act as advocates for those with no voices, that are so often
abused.

    The black-footed ferret recovery effort has been under-way for nine
years.  It is three-fold effort: captive breeding to produce young kits for
release into the wild; education to teach survival techniques to the young
kits ("Pre-release conditioning'); reintroduction (release into the wild).
Each phase of the recovery effort is enormously complicated and fragile, and
each is dependent upon the other two.  In each of these endeavors there is
opportunity for abuse, either through callousness, indifference or accident
There has never been an independent agency to speak for the ferrets--until
now.  Through the tragedy of the misguided release of the older ferrets, we
have come together for a common interest.  The issue continues.

    For those that have not received news of the outcome of your efforts,
yes, a limited release did take place.  Government is bullheaded and life is
cheap.  Fourteen ferrets sacrificed their lives during the June 5 release and
another twelve PREGNANT older females are also believed to be dead after a
secret release in the same location (Badlands National Park) in April.  The
out-come was a public confession, in the news, by the US Fish & Wildlife
Service, that they had 'erred'.  Further releases of older animals were
scrapped (for the time being...).  The older animals not released and still
stalled out in temporary locations are still at enormous risk.

    Addressing this crisis, we are scurrying to complete our second, and
much more detailed, plan for a care facility.  This new plan will encompass
a number of proposed PASSIVE scientific studies which will benefit both
released kits and animals housed long term either for breeding or in
"retirement".  Within two weeks this proposal will be presented to all
parties involved with the BFF recovery program, for their consideration.
The issue of the disposition of older animals is a side issue to the BFF
recovery program, but it is one in which the risk of abuse is obviously
evident and yet so easy to disguise.  That is why we called upon you and
why, in your wisdom came to the battle armed with your acute perception and
willingness to put pen to paper to have your say.  Whether the bureaucrats
liked it or not, they were briefly forced to be "of the people".

    The Society for the Protection and Conservation of the Black-Footed
Ferret (SPCBFF) will sit at BFF Recovery effort meetings both to contribute
and to watchdog.  It will be where you want it to be, at breeding facilities
and at release sites.  It will critique shipping conditions and examine the
motives of 'hard data' experiments, such as the misguided release of the
older animals.  It will not just criticize, but will offer practical
alternatives--such as; the care center--to situations which further endanger
already endangered animals.  Many of the situations which cause the animals
discomfort or worse, are avoidable.  But it takes the efforts of those with
the welfare of the ferrets as the primary consideration, not secondary to
the collection of scientific data, to observe and correct the situation
before if costs lives.  As a letter today in the editorial section of the
Denver Post observes, we don't need hard data to know that putting babies in
traffic is bad for their health.

    In order to make your impact felt in the long term, as it has been
during the recent crisis, we call upon you to join others in the thousands
to keep your wildlife agencies alert to the voice of the people.  You must
realize that you are regarded with disdain by those whose salaries you pay.
It is an ugly reality.  For anyone who wants published proof of this, just
let me know!

    To receive your FREE lifetime membership to the Society, please send the
proverbial stamped, self-addressed envelope for your membership card.  It
would be the perfect opportunity to let us know if you have a fax, e-mail
address, or if we need to keep you informed by regular mail.  We strive to
reach everyone constantly, and at this point can categorize you according to
the access you have.  Thanks to the continuing generosity of Gary Holowicki
of Tempe, AZ, we are soon to be computerized ourselves.

    Whatever your criticism of the viewpoints of those so moved by the true
disaster of what has happened to the older ferrets, free speech is one of
the few rights we still have.  We must respect each other.

    One last word on the influence of individuals or groups on the SPCBFF.
We will listen to all with an open mind, but it is the membership which will
guide the direction of the Society, not special interest.  We look forward
to hearing from you.  Our force must be felt immediately, so we ask that you
take action today.

Carolyn R. Kinsey
Andrew Abate
Directors, SPCBFF

WRITE:  SPCBFF, 140 W. 29th St., Ste. 191,
Pueblo, CO 81008-1016