From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 16:14:14 -0400
>About 3 weeks ago, Idget went in to the vet because she had stopped
>eating.  They felt a mass in her abdomen and did and exploratory.  They
>removed an 8 oz tumor and the biopsy results came back today.  It was
>a poorly differenciated carsinoma, with the strong possibility for
>regrowth.  I started her on Essiac today but both my vet and I are open
>to other suggestions.

I didn't post before as I'm not an oncologist.  I would recommend that
your vet consult with an oncologist on this, treatment may be available.

-Dr. Karen

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail is provided for general informational purposes only.  It is
in no way intended as a replacement for a consultation with a qualified
licensed veterinarian.  If you are concerned about your pet's health, you
should seek the advice of your regular veterinarian as soon as possible.

 -------

The diagnosis of poorly differentiated carcinoma is not a good one.  It
tells us that this epithelial tumor is anaplastic, or too immature to be
able to recapitulate its parent tissue.  This immaturity does correlate
well, however, with a potential for widespread metastasis and aggressive
growth.

Carcinomas tend to metastasize widely in the abdomen, and are generally
very difficult to excise completely.  Chemotherapeutic options exist, but
little have shown a lot of effect (but we certainly need more information
and test cases.)

Wish I had better news - but at this point, let's make the most of the
time together, and hope for the best,

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM