Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:51:31 -0600
>Hey, how's Fang and his insulin doing?
>
>Mary

Hi Mary and my FML family,

I've been meaning to post about the weird happenings with Fang, but I
have hesitated due to the fact that I don't know what is going on lately
with the FML people, and I haven't acknowledged anybody's losses or
sorrows.....Sometimes I feel that if I post just about Fang all the time,
that I am being selfish.

I feel I must post again, however, because this has been such an
INTERESTING case (though very confusing to say the least):

RECAP HISTORY:  Fang, Marshall Farms male...
- Insulinoma surgery and right adrenal (cryosurgery) in Feb. '99
  at age 4 1/2
- Blood donor needed following surgery.
- On Pediapred since surgery becuz glucose reading stayed quite low..
- Increased pred over a three month period from 1/2 ml. to one full ml.
  two times a day; Fang very fat and uncomfortable from the pred.  Sleeps
  a lot; lethargic.
- Blood tests every two weeks; glucose always hovering in the 80's.
- In June, sudden abrubt swing to diabetes...very high readings in the
  high 400's.....once in the 500's.  <sigh>
- Weaned off pred slowly to see if pancreas would start working on its'
  own, to avoid the need to go on insulin.
- Almost died five days after being weaned...(severe hind leg weakness;
  dragging himself around ; depression set in..  still eating well, but
  crying and in pain)...back on pred in small doses til we could get him
  to vet (we were out of town with Fang).  Collapsing in own urine, trying
  to hold himself up......very scary time.  Frantic calls to our vet (we
  are four states away).  Went to vet we didn't know in that town; blood
  tests, x-rays, check up...everything looked fine, but still high glucose
  reading at 345.  Maybe a bladder infection since he had been crying (more
  so) when urinating...Baytril injection.  Left with a prescription, but no
  answers, and ninety-five bucks poorer.

- Another blood test....still high reading; 345.......wait one week more
  for our local vet to get back from vacation to start insulin..Weaned
  him from pred slowly for the SECOND time..Fang acting much better now;
  showing interest in life....

Back to vet to start insulin....one more blood test....HERE IS THE GREAT
NEWS : IT WAS NORMAL FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE CHRISTMAS!  IT CAME IN AT
134 !  I cried right there on the spot.  The vet ran another test to be
sure, followed by a urine test; no glucose in the urine!!  Oh, happy day!
Fang acting spiffy and giving kisses again without being asked!!

Presently we are just watching him for changes in behavior before next
test in two weeks!  I don't understand any of this when it comes right
down to it.  I read all I can, prepare for what I think is going to
happen; then whammy!!  Something new!!  The pancreas had quit working long
ago, so this must mean that all of a sudden it kicked in again???  The vet
said it had to have started producing insulin on its' own.  Yipee!!

We have spent over $1400.00 on this little guy since he was a wee thing.
He is worth every penny, but it makes me reconsider getting two the next
time around.  Maybe this being an only fert isn't so bad.  He is our
blessing, and now because of the latest news, we feel blessed again.

Love to all from lizzi and Fang