From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:32:08 -0400
Signe Peterson wrote:
>Thanks to all who gave me advice regarding sponges.  I finally found the
>missing ones in a box of books in the closet.

Sponges in a box of books, huh?  You don't suppose your ferret was trying
to "soak up" some knowledge, do you?  Are you certain that you don't have
an FLO agent in your midst?  :)

Sandbox:

Amy Robin wrote:
>I want to get a sandbox for my furkids to play in...does anyone have any
>ideas on what to fill the sandbox with(?)

Well, you have choices!  It can depend on *where* the sandbox will be
placed, along with what youare comfortable cleaning up off of the floor,
or off of your ferrets!  :)

1) Rice.  Each fuzzbutt cleanup.  Use natural rice, instead of minute rice.
Put the rice onto a large cloth (like a tablecloth, if you do the whole bag
at once, or a towel if you decided to process smaller amounts at a time)
and carry it outside and shake it up and down a few times (like bouncing
someone on a blanket) to let the rice dust drift away.  Another way to
clean the dust out is to wash the rice, then let it dry in the sun.
Cleanup is easier, since its fairly easy to see where the rice is.  Best
used on tile or wood floors where it can be swept up.  If used on carpet,
use a shop-vac to pick up.

2) Play Sand.  Moderate fuzzbutt cleanup.  Most play sand is pre-screened
to remove dust.  However, sand is basically a bunch of little bitty rocks
that scrap against each other when you move around it in.  As time goes by,
the scraping produces dust.  Hard to clean from fuzzbutts, due to sand
getting into their coat, ears, nose and mouth.  However, the fuzzbutts seem
to like it!  Should only be used on a surface that is very easy to clean
(tile, or indoor/outdoor carpeting--NOT wood).

3) Pine shavings.  Easy fuzzbutt cleanup.  Be certain not to use cedar,
do to the aromatic problems associated with it.  Its also a lighter
alternative and is easily cleaned up from the floor.  Finally, it's
reasonably inexpensive.  Can be used on any flooring surface.

4) Dirt from the back yard.  Difficult fuzzbutt cleanup.  The least
expensive alternative (it would probably make no difference to your
fuzzbutts!) and the easiest to replace.  However, cleaning your fuzzbutts
will be difficult, short of giving them a complete bath.  On the plus side,
you may already have an endless suppy available of this material available
to you!

5) Chinchilla dust.  Easy fuzzbutt cleanup.  According to a previous post
by Bob Church (whose opinions I highly respect!), one way to reduce the
natural odors of a fuzzbutt is to let them play in some chinchilla dust.
This serves to give them the "dirty" play options they desire, as well as
having the dust stick to the oils that can cause the odors, thereby
reducing the smell, without drying out the skin or causing other fuzzbutt
problems.  Typically, little or no cleanup is needed, since the dust is
meant to remain on the fuzzbutts after they are done playing in it.  Any
tracks made outside the box and be easily cleaned up with a dustbuster
(pun intended! :)) or ordinary vacuum or broom.

Eve Kochel wrote:
>...IS THIS NORMAL?

Uh...yeah...perfectly normal ferret behavior.

Finally: Hey Skeeter!

Could you do me a favor?  I'd appreciate it if you did a quick head count
over there...it seems you missed Silver Dude when he came your way!  Please
watch after him...and tell him I love him!

Todd and the (High 5's, Skeeter!  Play with Silver Dude a bit--he's fun!)
Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
"users.success.net/toddl/"