From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:11:20 EDT
I love this question.  I have this down to an art.  Anyone that has
visited my house can tell you so (Kat Parsons, Sharon Beardon).  Okay.
Ready?  Products wise I can tell you my opinion right here:

Mashalls Ferret Off: Critical.  This stuff kicks you know what.  It
really does take the ferret smell out of ferret blankees, hammies,
rice, furniture, etc.  As far as using it on them... I don't like to.

Mashalls conditioning spray and deoderizer: Dissappointing

PPP conditioning spray and deoderizer: Well its lovely smelling, and nice
before company comes over, but its very shortlived.  Very.  So in that
respect, its not very effective in my opinion.

Four Paws: They have a spray that smells wonderful, and it lasts.  Would
I use it on them daily?  I'd try not to, but I havne't had coats ruined
when I've had to resort to daily spraying.

Refresh: NO.  Its smells awesome and clean.  It works.  But its a NO.  It
WILL ruin your ferrets coat over time making it course, and brittle.

Marshals Biodor: It works internally.  And it does indeed work.  But
this can be expensive over time.  And I hate to say it... I don't feel
comfortable giving my ferrets anything this invasive for long periods of
time.

Vets Best Conditioning and Deoderizing spray: Truly awesome in that it
seems to work nice with the coat even if used for long periods of time.
It smells like spice... like cloves.  You not only get used to that, but
you get addicted to it. :)  It works very well with the ferrets smell.  I
really like it the best.  However,,,,,,,, I developed an allergy to it
and I had to quit using it.  So beware around allergic people although it
may not bother others.

**Outright and Allerpet: CRUCIAL for people with allergies as well as for
odor control.  Probably the one thing you can do to control odor the most
would be to take a damp cloth and use these products on your ferrets.  I
call them "dry baths".  I wipe the ferret, then I use the product, then I
make sure I wipe them down and wipe the product off... dry ferret... all
done.  All refreshed just like a bath without triggering the ferret to
smell more.

I wipe that Ferret Off on trays and such after cleaning them for control.
Vacuum often, very often.  Shampoo carpets often.  The Fabreeze helps
with odor, but not with allergies so remember that.

Go to my main website and scroll down the index,,,, go to my Allergy and
Odor control pages for more information.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/deaf.html

[Moderator's note: My personal (non-moderator) opinion: the best ferret
deodorizer is none at all.  I hate the artificial smells like perfumes
and cosmetics and much prefer the smell of ferrets!  I'm sure the ferrets
share my opinion ;-)  BIG]