From:
Aarrow-Ranch Aviation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 11:32:00 -0400
Bud was a rescue.  Got him from Carol McCraig's shelter at Va beach.
Didn't need or want another ferret at the time, but Carol kept saying I
need another, and Bud had been to 5 other families coming back where no
one wanted him, so I took him.  Such a good boy, so glad to have had him
here.

Bud started to have rear end balance problems.  Seemed to go away but came
back.  Then his two hind legs got totally straight and stiff, totally
stiff.  He couldn't walk!  He saw me and came running by pulling himself
along with his front legs dragging his butt, literally, over to me.  I
held him and massaged the legs till the got flexible but they stiffened
right away.  Massaged again and again till the stiffness went out.

Bud was not well.  Steadily got worse.  Took him to a vet who x-ray'd him
and found nothing.  Later tests showed he had insulonoma.  By that time
over a couple days Bud was in real trouble.  I was hand feeding him duck
soup several times a day and he ate ravenously.  I had a box that I cut a
little round hole in and put a towel in there for him to sleep in.  He
loved that where he could not climb in the cage anymore.  Could always
find him there, reach in and give him a reassuring pet or two.

Got home from last night, got Bud out from his hidy hole under the chair
and fed some duck soup to him.  He ate well but not as ravenously as
before.  He had been eating kibble so guessed he wasn't all that hungry.

Got up this morning and worked on my lunch for work today, got the duck
soup out of the kitchen and warmed it in the microwave.  Went looking for
the bug, he wasn't in his hidy holes.  Looked out on the porch and found
him curled up beside the blanket next to the wall, picked him up and he
was gone, stiff.  Lost him.

At least he had a good home where he was loved and well cared for.  And
when he got sick he got the best of care, hand feeding, and more love.
Bud knew he was wanted, loved, and I was close friend to him that meant
no harm.  I am crying ..  sobbing..  is sad to loose a loved pet, but as
in all things, dust to dust, ashes to ashes.  Was his turn.  Such a good
boy he was, never ever offered to bite, always fun, and got along with
everyone.

God rest his soul.

Gordon, Byte-me, Nibble-ed and Kodo