From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:49:51 -0500
I have to agree with Lisette on the Modern Ferret issue.  I always find it
strange that when things get rough for them they have no backups, nothing
in place to cover for them, and don't seem to think they need to have such
things.  Either they do the whole thing or nothing happens.  Given the
extreme popularity of Modern Ferret, it's REALLY hard for me to believe
that they couldn't get any volunteers or interns to help with production
if they made the effort to seek out help.  If they want to run a business,
they HAVE to do these things.  This is not the first time production has
just sort of stopped.

I know, I know, it's a 2-person operation, but it's also a business.
Given the frequency with which obstacles befall Mary and Eric (not their
fault, I realize, but it's pretty often!), it seems like they need to
clue into the fact that the magazine needs backup, another writer or 2,
definitely another person to take pictures because when Eric is out of
commission, so is the magazine.

Consider: They expect subscription money on time.  They don't send a
magazine if people don't pay.  They wouldn't send me a magazine if I
promised that payment would, eventually, arrive at some later date.  Why
should it always be so acceptable that they cash our checks and then
don't deliver the product until they get around to putting it together??

I don't blame people for feeling cheated.  I always bristle a little bit
when I read posts that suggest that Modern Ferret should always be above
reproach no matter how late the issues or if there is no explanation,
because "it's Mary and Eric and they have problems".  As much as I have
admired the Sheffermans, they are not our friends necessarily; they are a
business that sold people something and have not delivered it or been in
contact.  A lot of people sent them $27 and have nothing to show for it.
That's bad business no matter who you are.  Worse to never get in touch,
then place a flippant message on your website with some references to 9/11
to blame, and a stern reminder that they are "only two people", as though
THEIR choice not to have a staff or any backup help means that their
customers have no right to expect prompt service or at least some
communication!

I know the magazine has had some problems including Eric's recurring
illness (I have a close friend with Crohn's and I DO know how bad
flare-ups can be) as well as problems with distributors and getting the
magazine out.  I really wanted to keep supporting the magazine, but I
also couldn't spend more money for a magazine that was losing content and
arriving later and later all the time.  To be blunt, by the time my last
subscription expired I was starting to feel cheated.

I personally, as well as many other people that I know, have submitted
articles to Modern Ferret numerous times, but it seems like only Mary and
a few select ferret people are allowed to write for Modern Ferret.  Few
photos besides Eric's make it into the pages besides the "pink noses"
photo page.  There are many people who have offered content, stories,
poems, photos, etc.  In past years I frequently submitted things written
by club members and shelter affiliates that were well-written and
interesting.  None were ever used or acknowledged.  For the most part
they discourage submissions, yet fall back on how they have no help when
things get hung up.

Bottom line is that I have always liked Modern Ferret, and had great
admiration for Mary and Eric, but I decided not to renew and now I'm
pretty glad!  I wish Modern Ferret had bounced back; it started out really
great, had a marvelous first year, and was much loved by many.  But I'd
be very surprised if they're able to do a complete turnaround and repeat
their earlier success; many people are pretty disillusioned by this point!

-Heather W. in Massachusetts