From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:55:43 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccine help needed!
>To everyone who self-vaccinates: I am having trouble finding Imrab 3 through
>any of my usual suppliers.  Where do you get it?  Can you please eMail me

Rhone merieux has a long standing policy (which they have successfully
defended in court) of only selling to veterinarians for use where a
veterinarian-client-patient relationships exists.  So their stuff does not
appear in catologs.  Secondly, from a legal standpoint, most (if not all)
States only recognize a pet being vaccinated against Rabies if adminstered
by a licensed veterinarian.

>From:    Penny Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Ferret health Question
>I have two 10 month old ferts, brother and sister. They are both current on
>their shots, and have not been sick.

Oral cysts can occur and it should be looked at by a vet.  Sometimes (just
sometimes), they are associated with tumors of the oral cavity.

>From:    "K. Sherman" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Milograms and Physical Therapy
>I'd like to give everyone an update on Casper and ask another couple of
>questions regarding his paralysis.  Casper is still not walking *sigh* and
>has gotten worse.

A myelogram is technically feasible on a ferret but I have never done one
myself.  If all other causes of rear limb weakness/paralysis have been
investigated, that is the next logical step.  There is probably a minimal
risk associated with the procedure like in other species but I do not have
any specific percentages.

>From:    Cheryl Cato <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MEDICAL ADVICE NEEDED
>I'm concerned about my Binky (again), and would like to hear any input from
>vets and other experts on the list.

I would do the Univ.  of Tennessee adrenal panel.  It is highly specific for
adrenal disease.  The problem is not with the test, but with the long turn
around time for the results.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA