From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:02:46 -0400
There is a project which a number of us have been working on for a while.
It's a tip sheet/guideline to help those involved in legal seizure
situations.  Not all points apply to each situation.  For instance, if
the abuser expects the authorities rather than there being a raid then
the secrecy ones don't apply (but it always best to check to see if it
may be a secret raid before saying anything to anyone else if someone
mentions an up-coming seizure to you).  The aim is to learn how to best
use the legal options which exist in order to best help ferrets.  If
doing so can also get reimbursement from the abusers for shelters
involved in these rescues in some cases then that is even better.

I am just the compiler, and this is still only in rough form.  At this
point we are seeking suggestions to improve what currently exists.  It
has gone out already to multiple people involved in rescues and to the
enforcement people at the ASPCA for feedback.  Please, if you have a
constructive suggestion for consideration by the group putting this
together send it on to me and also feel free to post it on the FML.

I know that I have learned a lot from the people involved in this project
and I think that many of you will be as pleased as I was with the common
sense and good information involved, and also with some surprises: like
what types of photos should be used and how to film for legal
presentation (both things to read about tomorrow).

Today I will put in the first section "Before" which contains things to
do before a legal seizure arises.  Tomorrow I will put in "During", and
then the next day I will put in the rest.  Feel free to comment at any
point.