From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 19:54:34 -0400
>Hi, I've just joined the group.  I have 2 ferrets , 1 of which has had
>three tumours removed over the last five months.  Each one has come back
>from histology as an 'undifferentiatd spindle cell sarcoma'. ...
>have appeared in an area that he scalded about 7months ago

Dear XXXXXXX:

Unfortunately, I know of no topical medication that will forestall or
prevent ongoing neoplastic processes.  Your tale is interesting and unique;
it is unusual to say the least to see recurrent neoplasms in a previously
injured site in a ferret.  Similar problems may be seen in other species
(recurrent tumors at sites of brands is well documented in cattle.)

I do wonder however, if we are not simply seeing incomplete excision of a
single mass from underneath the skin.

I wish that I had a good suggestion for you, but from what we currently
know about the genesis of tumors in ferrets (which is actually very
little), I can't think of any compound that would be of help at this
point - it appears to be something that we will just need to ride out.

One possibility that I will suggest without a tremendous amount of
enthusiasm, and that may simply represent jingoistic hoohah at this point,
would be to treat the skin with a compound containing Vit E - Vit E helps
the body protect itself against free radicals - chemical compounds that
incite tissue damage and which may be involved in the early generation of
neoplasms.  It is all very trendy right now, and perhaps one day we will
understand more of this process to actually be able to use it in a very
targeted manner.  But it certainly won't hurt at this point.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams,DVM