From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:57:33 -0700
Oh where oh where do I begin?  I guess I will begin with my heart....
ferrets.  That is what it is all about.  I don't want to debate anything
or stick my nose where it doesn't belong.  So I won't.  I will stick to
what I know and how I feel.

I run a small ferret shelter.  Our average in the shelter is 10.  We have
gotten up to 27 and had to shut the doors for new surrenders because we
cannot care for that many and still keep up our level of care (our own
personal choice).  We know our limits.

So, I am a small shelter... but I have never EVER been pushed aside.
Yes, other larger shelters are more widely known and receive more funding
and recognition... but you know what?  They should.  They have more than
I do so should be able to ask for more assistance when needed.

We receive help when we ask.  The ferret community somehow comes together
for everyone and helps.  SOS helps.  They do a lot of work that is not
posted here on the FML.  They do support the small shelters.  When SOS
donates, it is normally in the form of a check to the shelter vet or to
one of the online ferret stores where the shelter can buy food.

I worry that people will stop giving.  Please don't.  If you worry about
where your money is going, send a donation to the vet, or SOS, or send
the shelter you want to help ferret supplies.  But don't stop giving.

Mark, I know you weren't attacking the shelters and I hope that no one
flames you.  However, you seem concerned about giving to shelters or
even that shelters ask for donations.  I am glad you were able to do the
shelter that you did without having to ask.  There are a lot of shelters
out there that do it too.

I will never, and have never, "slugged it out" with another shelter,
large or small.  I like to think that all of the shelters in Arizona
talk to each other and help each other out when we can.  Sheltering is
a community all in it's own.  We don't always agree and we don't always
do everything the same, but our main goal is to place the ferrets in
wonderful forever homes, and care for the ones left behind.

Some shelters stay quiet about their needs, others don't.  There is
nothing wrong with either one.  It is just how their shelter operates.

So, where does the money go that is received?  Since I can and will only
speak about our shelter I will tell you... it goes to pay off a $900 vet
bill, it goes to supply food, treats, litter and bedding for our shelter
kids.  I don't spend the money on me...shoot I wouldn't know what to buy!
I'd just buy more ferret stuff!  LOL

Anyways, the point of my soapbox was... there are a few shelters out
there that might not play well with others, but most that I have come
across are wonderful people that are just looking out for the welfare of
the ferrets.

As for large scale rescues that come up.  Well, each person that is
responsible for the rescue puts the ferret first.  We may not always
agree on how they do it and with what steps, but we are not the ones
doing it, they are.  Not every situation is perfect and you make do with
what you have and what you can do.  Personally I think that all of the
large rescues have gone wonderfully.  If you don't think so, find one of
the rescue kids and just look at them, how happy they are.... that is
what it is all about.... THE FERRETS.

off soapbox for awhile now :-)
Thank you for listening to me mumble

Joanne Ruffner
Ferret Corner Shelter
"Ferrets are the Spice of Life"
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz
www.supportourshelters.org
www.geocities.com/neverforeverland

There's a pot of Ferret Love at the end of the Rainbow