From:
"Karen Purcell, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 16:59:24 +0000
Bob Church writes (skipping description of problem):

>I want to start application of a cortisone cream perhaps twice a day,
>and/or the application of vit.  E to the pads.  Any idea of safe strengths
>for ferret-use?  ...

Bob, I wouln't use cortisone on anything until the vet had seen it.  One of
the causes of foot problems in ferrets is scabies, and steroids help the
little buggers multiply like mad.  For the time being, I would soak his foot
trwice daily in warm water with epsom salts for 5-10 minutes (if possible),
rinse thoroughly with warm water, and apply aloe gel.  This will help to dry
up the dermatitis, but if no response or limited response, you definitely
want a skin scrape done.

Hope this helps.

-Dr. Karen

Celebrate Ferret Freedom Day with Massachusetts - March 7th!!