From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 06:48:30 -0700
>From:    Kirsten Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Anyone know if Boric Acid powder is safe for the ferret immune system?

Hi Kirst,

In the August issue of Restoration Magazine, they have an article on
Borate.  It is used to protect the wood in historical homes from fungi
and insects.

Borate is a non-toxic salt that is able to migrate to moist areas where
insects or fungi are active.

The article goes on to say it is as harmless as table salt.  Like salt,
though, it is an indescriminate herbicide, and will kill any plant life
if allowed to come in contact.

Borate is mined in the Death Valley (not encouraging, huh!) and Chile.
It has long been used as a laundry additive.  It is not poisonous to
mammals, but it is toxic to insects and can wipe out whole colonies,
which is especially useful when you are dealing with termites.

The article goes on to say that it is safe enough to use on food
preparation surfaces, so there is no risk to your family's health.

It would be my bug bomb of choice, now that I know about it.  ; )

Julie

=====
Julie Fossa   (419) 225-8158
West Central Ohio Ferret Shelter

We are currently functioning as a placement and referral service.

[Moderator's note: I don't often break in about these things, but safety
is an issue and I'd suggest MUCH more caution here -- I understand that
boric acid can indeed be moderately harmful to mammals.  For example,
here's a link to a Material Safety Data Sheet for boric acid:
http://www.emedco.com/emed2/resource/msds/msds_view.asp?pd=ba&pf=bsksz

It's a moderate one -- some exaggerate hazards more than others and this
MSDS is somewhere in the middle.  (Yes, I know how stupid some MSDSs are,
so I'd suggest a search of literature.  I did, and I certainly wouldn't
use boric acid where ferrets could come in contact with it.)  BIG]