From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 13:14:17 -0800
Here we go again!  Hello there.

This is regarding the same shelter owner/breeder as in the "tubal ligation"
message.  While discussing tubal ligation, he mentioned that he sometimes
brought in a rutting hob for a second mating to an impregnated jill,
sometime in the week following her mating.  His reason was to "relieve
sexual tension" in the second hob.  I said that if the jill were out of heat
this would be very painful to her, or/and violent.  He said this wasn't the
case as the jills are still very moist during the week following
impregnation.  I said that I had heard that mating a jill more than three
days could impair the gestation period, leading to premature kits (by, I
guess, incurring another or other impregnation(s), though I'm over my head
here).  He agreed this was possible, but seemed neither surprised nor
alarmed nor gave any indication he should perhaps not do this.  I said I
didn't know facts about the actual fertilization process in ferrets, but
thought that, if each sperm fertilyzed one egg, and more than one father
were possible, then the theory of impaired gestation held weight, as the
gestation period for jills is usually 42 days, though I've also heard it is
40-42, and also heard it's 42-44.  In any case, a couple days could make a
difference, I would think, is such a short gestation period.

Since opinions differ, I'm asking for replies from personally experienced
breeders, or others with knowledge. What is the fertilization process in
ferrets?  What is the gestation period?  How might breeding a second time
to a second hob in the week following impregnation affect the pregnancy.

As before, I would like to forward replies to this shelter owner/breeder,
in hopes of ending this practice, if it is warranted as I suspect it is.
If posted on the FML, please cc: my personal e-mail address.  Try to be
clear, specific, diplomatic, factual and educative rather than assaultive.
All opinions will be respected.

By the way, he also said he'd noticed lately that if he kept his hobs and
jills together, the hob didn't notice the jill was in heat, sort of like the
"frog in the frying pan," he said, whereby the frog in water boils before
noticing the water's heating up.  sigh...  What happens if the hob realizes
she's in heat, but she's not ready?  Poor jills.

Thank you,

Lynn Mc.