From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:43:14 -0400
In relation to my comments on the mycobacterium abstract:

>The following involves a mycobacterium infection. Related to
>tuberculosis, avian mycobacterium (in the past called called "aTB"
>at times) is typically an ***intestinal*** infection. ...
>
>A 6-year-old, neutered male ferret presented with weight loss.
>Radiography revealed an enlarged liver and other abdominal masses.
>The ferret was euthanized, and at necropsy, the stomach wall was
>thickened, mesenteric lymph nodes were enlarged, and the liver
>contained multifocal tan nodules. Histopathology confirmed lymphoma
>and granulomatous inflammation in all affected organs. Acid-fast
>bacilli were present in the lesions and were confirmed to be
>Mycobacterium avium by PCR.
>PMID: 17037629 [PubMed - in process]

Remember also that avian mycobacterium is also common in wild birds in
the U.S. and already compromised ferrets such as ones with lympho can
catch it from tracked in bird feces, so when there is a compromised
individual in the house it really pays to put your shoes where the
ferrets can't chew the soles (quite a challenge here since my hubby
has size 15 feet...).

I do not know how prevalent avian mycobacterium is in other continents,
but page 94 in this document will be of interest to people in the U.S.:

<http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/field_manual/chapter_8.pdf>

<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1287718>

includes info on other vectors beyond birds:
>The prevalence of infected wild animals by premises ranged from 2.7
>to 8.3% in Wisconsin and from 0 to 6.0% in Georgia. Shedding was
>documented in seven (0.9%) animals: three raccoons, two armadillos,
>one opossum, and one feral cat.

Humans and ferrets who encounter this disease environmentally (much
lower exposure than by eating it) are not usually at risk from the
avian mycobacterium compared to some of the others, including bovine:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG11774
and
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG11719
UNLESS they are very young, very old, or immune-suppressed.

I know that I have seen Canadian Geese around here with the kinds of
lesions which can be from this mycobacterium.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org