From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:43:14 EDT
Lise writes:
>In NJ it is required Vets use ferretvac though not all vets have switched
>from the canine/feline distemper mix.  Ask your vet which is used, was the
>suggestion.

First off, required by WHO?  Please give us the statute, code or regulation
that requires this.  According to F&G, there are NO requirements for
vaccinations of ferrets in NJ.  In fact they don't need to be vaccinated at
all by F&G regs.  The State Dept.  of Health will recognize the CDC Rabies
compendium when a ferret has been vaccinated against rabies, but they don't
even specify the type of rabies vaccine which must be used!  They also
don't require ferrets to be vaccinated against anything, and generally
defer to F&G on ferrets (unless there is a bite incident).

If you would like names and numbers for F&G or the Veterinary Division of
the State Dept. of Health, I'd be happy to provide them.

Next off, although many NJ vets don't see a lot of ferrets, most DO know
to use a canine distemper.  Some are still using the combo shot they would
use for a dog, but I deal with a LOT of vets VERY regularly as a result of
tracking down records on ferrets that have been turned into the shelter,
and most are using either FervacD or GalaxyD.  Many of the vets know that
FervacD is the only one licensed for use in ferrets and will only use that,
unless the client signs a waiver, then they will use GalaxyD.  I have
only once or twice run across a vet who used a feline distemper shot on a
ferret.

One other note--it seems that many people have been taking ferrets to PetCo
for shots.  Please don't confuse a 3 minute shot visit to PetCo with an
annual trip to a ferret knowledgeable vet for an examination.  This annual
exam is very important in assuring the continued health of your ferret.
The vets doing the shots at clinics give a cursory once over at best,
and most do not know the first thing about ferret health.  It is not an
acceptable substitute for a thorough exam.

Anne