From:
mark hei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 04:45:36 -0400
I have 4 ferrets, Sandy, Cherry, Aileah, and Lizzy - an Albino, Cinnamon,
Black Sable, and Blaze respectfully.  A year ago in the summer, Sandy was
on her death bed with a host of problems.  Most prevalent was insulinoma.
She had laser surgery and had 4 tumors removed (2 pancreas, 1 adrenal, 1
liver node) and an intestinal blockage a year ago.  She was fine for
about 8 months and 6 months ago Dr Weiss, after a checkup and X-ray, had
diagnosed Sandy with another adrenal (she was showing swollen personal
parts and slightly thinning hair).  He went in that day and removed a
little more pancreas, the second adrenal, another liver node (by then the
previous one grew back) and her spleen.  She was trying to climb stuff
within 24 hours, and luckily I have a nice tiled bathroom which I use for
recovery where she couldn't hurt herself.  The doctor called and found a
form of liver virus called portal hepatitis and prescribed a serious
round of antibiotics.  Sandy healed quickly, and now, a year and 2 months
passed her initial surgery, all she has to show for it is some thinning
hair off the root of her tail, 2/10 CC of prednisone per day, and
percortin once every 4 weeks.

She sees her Dr every 4 weeks, and acts like a 2-3 year old.  It is great
to see her quality of life so high - and I'm here to tell you that this
ferret handled multiple surgeries with no problems.  The only thing is I
give her and the others a nice dose of turkey baby food every day because
then if any of my ferrets get sick, it is easy to hide the medicine.

Play with your ferrets every day!

Mark H.