From:
jason soltan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 10:46:27 EDT
Hi everyone!  I've been on the list for about a week now, and I wanted to
say hello.  I also wanted to say how happy I am to have found so much ferret
info online, and particularly within this group.  I live in NJ and do not
know any other ferret owners to converse with, and this list is an
invaluable resource.

My girlfriend and I have a 5 year old sable named Sasquatch and a 10 month
old cream named Yeti, both of whom have recently discovered raisins to their
vast enjoyment, thanks to this list.  :) For those who are collecting treat
lists, ours also love apple and kiwi slices.  They can smell 'em anywhere
and come out of the woodwork to dance and plead until they get some...

While I'm posting, I have a question.  For awhile now Sasquatch has been a
little unsteady as he hops around.  He sort of weaves a bit in the
hindquarters and stumbles a little on occasion.  Is this just age, or should
I be worried?

I'd also like to mention an innovation of mine that I haven't seen anywhere
else yet, for those who want to seperate rooms from the fuzzies.  I took one
of those expanding wooden lattice style toddler safety doors and modified it
to contain carpet sharks.  First, you need to remove the foot in the center
that raises it off the floor.  Next, mount it in the intended opening.
While it is expanded, get some 1" nylon strapping and stretch taut it across
the width of the gate (on the side the fuzzies will not be on), fastening it
to each segment with a nail or u-tack.  Lastly, get a 2 or 3 inch wide piece
of thin wood to fill the vertical gap on the side that detaches from the
wall.  I was amazed, but Yeti managed to squeeze through before I added
this... I also ended up cutting the gate down in the middle to make it
easier to step over; just be sure to leave the ends intact.  The great thing
about this gate is that it compresses closed and swings out of the way, and
doesn't create a complete visual barrier like a solid door.  I've found it
to be very handy.  If anyone wants more details, feel free to email me.

On a final note, I'd like to express my sympathy and hope for Dayna and her
new friend.  The utter cruelty that people are capable of never ceases to
astound me, and I would like to agree with whoever said that calling this
person an animal was an insult the animals don't deserve...

May all of you and your fuzzies fare well. -Jason