From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:51:34 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=801

Folks,

Ok, devil's advocate time.

>I'm probably wrong but first of all pred should always be given in 12
>hour intervals only.

Nope, depends on the case.  I've prescribed it once daily, every other
day, depends on the individual case.

>Second all my ferrets that had both adrenal glands removed required
>a few hormone replacements that are no longer produced by the adrenal
>gland.  Also, adrenal disease in ferrets mimic addisons disease in dogs
>but you do not treat it as if it were addisons.

No, it is treated exactly the same way, with the same drugs.  Cushing's
and adrenal disease are NOT the same, but Addison's is the same,
regardless.  Can get confusing.

Oh, and percortin usually lasts 25-30 days in ferrets (in my experience),
so I usually check electrolytes at 25 days.

-Dr. Karen
Everett, MA

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail is provided for general informational purposes only. It is
in no way intended as a replacement for a consultation with a qualified
licensed veterinarian. If you are concerned about your pet's health, you