From:
Derek & Amy Flemming - Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 22:42:29 -0400
It has come to my attention that folks have been talking about our
contracts.  It has been said that when folks don't *really* own the
ferret.

I *do* have a pretty strict contract.  If the ferret cannot be kept, then
it is returned to me.  All I *really* want is to be contacted so I know
*where* the ferret goes ... that way I can track genetic information,
continue to keep in contact with the ferret via the new owners, etc.  Now,
my SHELTER contract states that "It is agreed that Weasel Watchers Ferret
Rescue retains superior title to said ferret: Limited to and for the
express purpose of assuring the well-being of the ferret, and will only
exercise it's superior claim in the event that it appears to Weasel
Watchers Ferret Rescue that the proper and humane care as specified in the
above stated Adoption Agreement is not being afforded to said ferret in
which case the ferret may be taken through a claim and delivery proceeding.
In the event legal action is necessary because of a violation of the
adoption agreement and expenses and/or court costs and an attorney's fees
are incurred, the adoptive parent agrees to pay those costs occasioned by
the Weasel Watchers Ferret Rescue."  Now, the reason for that is because
the shelter kids have already had a rough life - being bounced from home to
home.  I have NEVER excercised this part of the contract.  The key in the
contract is "as specified in the above stated Adoption Agreement".  I never
said what that was.  It is very basic care.  It states "I will contact a
veterinarian when I notice my ferret behaving abnormally.  I understand
that by being a responsible ferret owner, I will need to provide my ferret
with a high quality food, along with clean water, constantly.  I will also
provide a clean cage with enough room for my ferret to move around and
provide clean bedding in which to sleep.  I will groom my ferret regularly,
ie: trim nails, clean ears, clean teeth, bathe." Basic care.  That is all.
They, and all animals, deserve it.  It is there for the ferret's protection
 ... not for me to "change my mind".

Now, I don't think that that is too much to ask.  Folks have signed it,
agreed to it, other shelters use that same clause, and MANY folks have
asked me for a copy of it to use.

If anybody would like a copy of any of my contracts, please ask.  I have
nothing to hide.  Ask other folks, I am flexable with my contracts.  All
you have to do is ask.  And please ask me directly for the correct answer!

Amy Flemming

Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

Weasel Watchers Ferret Rescue - Michigan, USA
Helping Needy Weasels
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/zoo/2690

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"