From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 17:08:15 -0500
Apollo died this morning.  He was a Marshall Farms sable of unknown age
adopted from the so very sweet TLE about 4.5 years ago.  Apollo has always
been a bit special to me.  All four of his canines were nipped off,
probably with wire cutters, leaving him unable to play the dominance game
with the other ferrets.  Shy and nondemanding, Apollo loved to play the
tickle game, and would sleep on my lap for hours.  He loved soft boiled
egg mixed with chicken gravy; his favorite meal.  Well, he also loved the
occasional raisin and chicken bone.

About a year ago, I discovered Apollo had cardiomyopathy, and started the
standard treatments.  Dispite his inital poor condition, he recovered
somewhat, and even regained his lost weight.  Last winter, Apollo again
started having trouble but responded to vet care.  Last week, he started
having very serious problems, with very wet lungs, hind end weakness, and
obvious discomfort.  Once again, he responded to rapid and aggressive
treatment.  At least for the week.  Two nights ago, it was obvious nothing
was really helping much anymore.  Three times I ran to my vet.  Twice,
treatments and drug therapy pulled Apollo out of death's grip.  But by the
third visit, the vet, myself and I think even Apollo knew the inevitable
was at hand.  I took him home for the last time.

All last night I held Apollo, speaking to him, stroking him, feeding him
sips of pedialyte, watered-down nutrical and chicken gravy.  He lost
control of his body functions, and started having difficulty breathing.  He
was getting cold.  I wrapped him in warm towels and rocked with him.  About
8:30, he woke up a bit, took a sip of water, and licked my finger.  At 8:40
am, he breathed his last, cradled in my arms.

My poor sweet Apollo.  I will miss you so very much.  Goodbye you rotten
little munchkin.

Bob C and 18 MO' Lonely Carpet Monsters (Missing Apollo)