From:
Natasha Oelkers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:57:15 EST
Hello everyone
I posted about Lexy about a month ago.  I was trying to find a good vet in
Iowa.  I have one, Dr. Lori Cherney in Waterloo.  She is so sweet and does
so good with Lexy.

Anyway, the first vet that I took Lexy to told me she had Adrenal Disease.
She had a swollen vulva and real flaky, dry skin.  She had no hair loss
or any other symptoms.  She was still active and didn't appear to be sick.
So I thought I had some time to find a good vet and save some money for
her surgery.  But Lexy started getting looking worst.  She started getting
a potbellied look to her about a week ago.  I keep a feeder full of food
in her cage and she has been eating and eating.  Also, drinking a lot of
water.  So I took her to see Lori on Thursday.  She doesn't believe that
she has adrenal.  Lexy fur is very healthy and she was gained weight, not
lost.  Lori wanted to keep her for test, a blood test, a urine test, and
x-rays.  She called today and things don't look good.  She got the blood
test, it showed Lexy was animic(low iron) and high on white blood cells.
She could not get the urine test.  The x-ray showed that her bladder is
pushed over to the side, her spleen is enlarged, and there is a lot of
fluid in her tummy.  She believes that it is cancer.  She is concerned
about how fast this has come about, and believes it will spread.  She
suggested that Lexy have exploratory surgery and hopeful she can remove
the cancer, but if she can't she wants to put her to sleep while she
still under.

Lexy is the sweetest little thing and I love her so much.  Just the
thought of her not coming home is tearing me apart.  Lori also suggested
just bring her home and giving her vitamins and antibiotics.  But she
would still die in the end.  I do not know what to do.  I am going to
have Lori do the surgery, hopeful it is removable but if not should I
have her put to sleep or bring her home and let her die.  I would
appreciate any comments, Please.  Email me, post, or call 641-424-4912.

Natasha Oelkers
Lexy, Alice, Tiny(my weasels), Shadow, Bonz(my kitties), Rizo(my rat) and
Rambo(my dog)