From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 21:10:27 -0400
don't get me wrong, but have you ever bitten the biter back?

Think of it this way - if you were trying to communicate to a deaf and blind
person, you would physically do something to communicate a point.  Well,
ferrets don't understand our language and have little reasoning power, but
if bitten after biting, they usually think of one of two things:
1) OW! That hurts.  I won't bug her that way anymore.
2) If I bite, then I get bitten.  So in order not to get bitten, I should
not bite her (let's go pick on someone else)...

Either way, you win.  I prefer to bite (BTW, don't try to draw blood, just a
whimper) across the bridge of the nose.  Then I offer a finger and see if
they are still willing to bite.  If not, lots of praise and love.  If they
try again, i tell them NO very loudly and if necessary, bite them again.  I
have never had to repeat this method more than twice.

You have to be quick - you can't chase them and pick them up and bite them -
the message will be lost.  It has to be spontanious.

Pam Grant / STAR*