From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 05:23:09 -0500
the ferret did have food and water in the dog house with him (i also tried
feeding him when i got back to the animal hospital to see if he was hungry
but he did not want to eat).  unfortunately it was so cold out the night
before that his water froze.  they had hay and a blanket in there for him.
please understand that i did everything i could not to have this ferret
euthanized.  a lot of people were called.  i wanted the ferret quarantined
and they would not allow it.  my wounds could not wait the few days, i
was bleeding everywhere.  the ferret bit me many many times....it was
absolutely something that i could not hold off on.  one of the bites went
all the way thru my finger (also hitting a nerve and may not get back full
feeling)!!!!!  the people who found the ferret and caged him up in the dog
house supposedly did call around to shelter and dog officers but no one
wanted to help them (shelters were too full).  also, i have rehabilitated a
biter before.  all i was doing was opening the wire so the ferret could get
out.  i in absolutely no way threatened this ferret.  i was planning on
getting him medical attention and then taking him home and give him a nice
place to live.  and like i said before.....i would go thru all the pain and
agony again if it meant saving him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i was hoping that
the test came back positive just so that he was not killed for no reason.
i myself am very upset that they would not quarantine him, i was ready to
go thru the rabies series just so he could live, i already started the
series so finishing was not a big deal.  i TRIED to do everything i could
to help, but things as far as decisions of the law was out of my hands.
the vet feels he was out and on his own for quite some time and that he
possibly even became wild because his behavior was so extreme.  please
remember i wanted him quarantined!!!!  but the people that make the law
wanted him tested.  i did not want to go to the human hospital, but my
wounds were sever enough that they needed attention.  keep in mind that i
put myself out there to save a ferret, after all.....isn't that what it is
all about?  trying to save all the ferrets????  but that also goes to prove
"no good deed goes unpunished"!!!!!!!!!

-me
p.s. also keep in mind, i have 11 ferrets of my own and have helped at
ferret shelters in taking care of them.  therefore i am not new to ferrets.
i have been owned by them since they became legal!!!!!!  one of which who
WAS a biter but NOW is friendly!!!!!!  also, the lady who originally called
me about this ferret called the animal hospital before i even got back and
told them i got attacked!!!!  she was the one that reported it.